So the MOT tester is a beast of a man and ripped both handbrake cables clean off the mounts! Better it failed here than in an emergancy though.
The orginal handbrake adjusters are bolts with the head of a bolt chopped, the end drilled with the lathe and a recess to capture the shorted handbrake cable with a spot of weld.
As the handbrake cables were now shorter than before the bolts were too short. These were extended by chopping the machines part off the old bolt and welded on to a new bolt making it longer. The recess needed drilling out again to remove old handbrake cable.
If this fails again it will need new handbrake cables.
The torn ends zipped tie down to make them easier to clean up for welding
Cables welded back on
Finally mounted back into the handbrake handle and adjusted. Hand brake retested with better results than the rear brakes!
The car was also failed on emission first time round as the machine was set wrong. HC limit for an 88 engine is 1200, it comes in around 650 – which as been the same for a numbr of years now. They incorrectly wanted to see less than 18 – keep an eye for that one, page 12 of this document is useful if you need paperwork: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/676700/in-service-exhaust-emission-standards-for-road-vehicles-19th-edition.pdf
It was MOT time this week. I changed the driver side ball joints as they had a warning last year, the lower one had noticeable slop.
I didn’t check the handbrake, or the driver side ball joints this year – guess what it failed on… hindsight a wonderful thing.
The rubber on the lower driver side ball joint was perished so failed on that. I replace the whole ball joint as I had spare ones.
The passenger side handbrake had no brake effect, on checking the cable seems to have stretched a bit and there was not enough thread to tighten it up properly, so put a space it and did them up.
Passed just fine with those two little fixes – could have avoided them if I’d spent a bit more time check the car over before the test.
Yesterday the Sportster passed it’s MOT. Testers were ready and waiting as they heard it coming!
Advisory on near side lower balls joint so I’ll be replacing that. He said there’s only a tiny amount of play but they’re relatively cheep parts which are easy to whip out with the airgun!
MOT Pass – bar a slightly dodgy light on the rear number plate everything is fine
Might get some LED’s for the number plate lights and solder them in. The plastic ones I have are of very poor quality
Got my MOT reminder this week, time to stick the Sportster up on the ramps and see how its doing this year
Have noticed a few rust spots that need sorting on the chassis underneath the doors – this is a bit of a water trap. Rest of the chassis usually needs a tiny bit of surface rust cleaning up and painting.
Only other problems in times past has been the handbrake cables – the attachment to the level broken on one side last year, and the previous side the year before. Both are now welded so hopefully that will be fine this year
Only other issue that needs looking at is a sticky idle control valve, that’ll hopefully just need a blast with carb cleaners
It’s been a year since the MOT it passed today! No problems at all with emissions on the rebuilt engine.
Only one small problem, the hand brake cable had slipped out of one of these things:
The solution was to mill a hole in one side through to the centre bore that the cable sits in. We then welded the handbrake cable into the bolt – its not going anywhere now! Pictures to follow at some point.
Sorry you’ll need Flash installed to view this video!
woohoo MOT pass. Did fail on 3 loose bolts first time through not bad!
took video on the way over will process and post some time later!
We got the speedo calculation wrong, thought it was not working but the millage actually went up on the drive. Luckly you don’t need that for MOT.
All set for SVA Friday now
Oh and before I forget it stopped raining just before we left!