Uncategorized

Rear Brake Pressure Regulator

Someone pointed out the stock BMW rear brake pressure regulator was incorrectly mounted on the car. Not sure if this made much difference as it has always worked. However decided to fix this and add some adjustability if needed in future in the form of a Wilwood Brake Proportioning Valve.  The wilwood valve part number 260-12627 has M10 threads so the existing pipe fittings could be used.

Marked up the position for the first mounting hole.

First hole drilled, inserted a rivnut here.

Test fit, checking alignment for the top hole.

Both holes drilled and rivnuts inserted.

Final fit of the Wilwood valve.

The inlet and outlets are in roughly the same place as the old valve which will make moving the hardline easier.

Removed the P clip holding the pipe and added two new bends bringing the pipe up to the new valve.

View from above – it’s easy to get to and make adjustments.

The input pipe from the master cylinder is a braided flexi pipe which made installation easy. Lining the threads up too some effort as the tolerances are really close.

Close up view from above.

The final step was bleeding all four corners, replaced the fluid throughout as it had gone quite dark, photo shows the old colour. New fluid is much clearer.

Not done any testing/setup yet as it was raining all day.

Uncategorized

Blue! And oil pump

Silver is so last month, so blue it is this time!

We used red hamerite on the exhaust plugs and those didn’t discolour until we welded something on it – so it seams heat resistance enough!

The hammered blue looks great out in the light.

Oil pump disassembled and cleaned. It all looks fine nothing really worn so no need to replace it.

The parts slot right into place, covered in assembly oil. This stuff is thicker than normal oil and kinda sticks to everything. Should help keep everything lubricated on the fist run.

The filter element has a few hardended clumps inside it but nothing major!

Engine Work

M52 crank sits neatly into the M20 block

M52B28 crank shaft sitting in the M20 block – this end will need some kind of spacer for the oil seal.

Crank sits in the block like it was meant to be there – only other thing that need to be tested is the M20B20 130mm conrod with the M20B25 pistons in place to check clearances.

One more picture for good measure!

One question, how the h*** to do you the cam belt pulley off the crank? It seems to be wedge solid. The cam chain pulley came right off the M52 crank so I assume its the same with the M20 except I’ve got 20 years of gunk keeping it on!

Chassis

Fuel Tank

Today we installed the fuel level sender in the fuel tank – sounds easy but it took most of the day! Stage 1 was to figure out the numbering system as the chart that came with the sender only when down to 180mm deep tanks. The Marlin tank is 160mm. Luckily it was quite an easy one to figure out – 160mm depth, 67mm pivot, 63mm radius.



Click me

Next on the list was to make the hole that the send goes in. It was all going well until the dremel (110v 20 odd year old model) finally giving in and died leave the rest of the cut out and clean up to me done by hand. Still turned out quite nicely:



Click me

There was a lot of mess in the tank, but luckily one of the vacuum cleaner attachments fits in the hole!

This only leaves figuring out how to attach the fuel hose to the tank and mounting the filter/pump!