Brightwork

Front indicator stalks refresh

The front indicators were starting to rot pretty badly, replacements are not very expensive so I decided to change them for new.

The new ones are little bit shorter than the originals:

Old indicator:

New indicator stalk – I like to proportions of the placement much better between the headlights, spots and indicators:

 

 

 

Bodywork

Reassembly, paint, lighting, electrics

The rear wings, tub and spare cover are back from http://www.specialisedpaintwork.com/ for some touch up work and removal of all the stone chips on the wings! The wings were starting to look more stone chip hole than paint on the front. To protect the wings this time I purchased some 3M VentureShield from https://www.invisiblepatterns.co.uk/ – I made a pattern using paper first then cut out the 3M stone chip protection film and applied. It took a lot of soapy water and work with the squeegee to get everything stuck down.

After fitting the stone chip protection film, I installed the new 3D printed light covers:

Wiring updated for the new inner LED lights:

Stuck the rear tub back on, this time using A316 stainless ‘A4’ nuts and bolts, these shouldn’t go rusty as easily as the previous 304 stainless ones. Got the nuts and bolts from https://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/

Decided to use vinyl wing piping from https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/ instead of the rubber trim that’s been on there since 2005 (that had started to go solid). The texture on the trim is very nice.

Next it was time to tackle some electrical, this tool from https://www.powerprobe.com/ (via https://www.summitracing.com/) is an invaluable tool for dealing with 12v car electrics. It will tell you if you have a ground, or a positive (and how many volts), plus you can use the switch to send a ground or 12 volts to the item your are connected to. A good way to test relays, bulbs, LED polarity etc.

Reconnected the 4 pin water proof connectors and tied up the excess cables out of the way of the tyres.

These are new two pole Lucas 403 bulb holders and a very cool set of LED lights that output both white and red light spending on which pins you connect up. They cover reverse and fog, which means I can run twin fog / twin reverse lights! The old Lucas 403 holders were starting to look a bit rusty so the new ones were good to get anyway.

Finally, an extra cross over cable is needed to bring the 12v+ fog/reverse to both sides of the car:

Reverse on!

Fog on!

Finally, due to the indicators now being LED they ran in super insane broken bulb mode. As such the flasher relay needed to be swapped out. I had gotten an LED flasher from S-V-C https://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/led-flasher-relay-12v/ it’s pin out is reversed from the BMW flasher relay and the ground is on a wire from the top. The flasher relay comes with a polarity swapping attachment so it goes right into the same connector as the stock flasher. The ground I’ve attached to the same location as the horn and other steering wheel wiring grounds.

Finally, some assembled shots:

Bodywork

3D Printed light bracket finalised and dust cover for LED centre lights

Part evolution from initial concept to final co-polyester print, shown at the front the traditional bulb clear lens, LED amber indicator and LED ring light.

The final part:

Test fit with traditional bulb holder style clear lens indicator:

New LED centres, these don’t have the big tail and rubber seal out the back so it’s vulnerable to stone impacts and dirt inside the rear arches.

To solve the first/damage issue I’ve modelled up a dust cap, on the right version 1 printed in one part. The rough surface comes from removing supports. Version 2 on the left, printed in two parts, up the other way. That leaves a clean finish on the ourside from the print bed and clean surface without any overhang for the inside.

Version 2 split print in more detail, these parts are glued together using CA / Superglue

Wire clearance

Wire cap in place

The end is shaped so that shrink tube can easily be place over the cables to protect them

Bodywork

3D Printed light brackets Version 2 test

Version 2 on the left, much smaller than the inital version:

Some clearance to fit two next to each other on the Sporster

The part is still more than strong enough for to keep the light in

Test fitting on the wing

LED centre light test fit (yep, rusty screws need changing)

View from the outside

Bodywork

Hella Mix and Match 3D Print Light Brackets

When we first build the Sportster 3D printing wasn’t a thing for home users. This has changed in the last 13 years, so it seem like a good time to make some improvments.

Version one of the rear light brackets where aluminim, work fine don’t look so good:

CAD Designs so far, allows for 3mm body thinkness when mounted. It’ll need a gasket to keep the damp out, also the fibre glass is not a consisten thinkness:

 

Some rendered versions with clear models of the outter ring and inner light:

Now we need to print the first protoype and see how it fits:

 

Brightwork

3rd brake light

A very temporary solution to make it more obvious I’m using the brakes. Not pretty but does the job until I find a better solution.

20120901-180457.jpg

Brightwork

Number plate LED upgrade

20110924-031714.jpg

20110924-031728.jpg

20110924-031735.jpg

It was time for an upgrade after spending a year on and off cleaning contacts and still having the number plate lights blink sometime. Using the original housings the standard bulbs have been switched for LED blocks from CBS. These are the same as the type used for the interior lighting. Not tried them in the dark yet as it’s a really nice day today!