Bodywork

Carbon

Did a little bit of work on the car today, made some carbon fibre scuttle covers. They still need sticking down with the some tape, but they look nice:

Bodywork

Side screens

Side screen are mounted to aluminium brackets via a threaded hole and cut screw.
Screen mount

Aluminium brackets cut & drilled.
Side screen bracket

Many, many hours of polishing later brackets ready for mounting.
Side screen brackets polished

All done.
Side screen done
Mounted bracket up close

Bodywork

Paint!

It’s been a long time coming, but we finally got the Sportster painted and reassembled and here’s the result:

Bodywork

Getting there

I was hoping that the car would get finished today, but as always there were more and more little things to do!

The centre console now has bracketing to hold it securely in place, the tub is secured and positioned right for the doors. The doors with re-enforcement brackets are on but not adjusted yet. The demister vent connections are nearly done. I tried setting up the amp with the scope but either them is chucking out some funny signals or the scope is on the blink. Headunit has clean output to setting 60 of 62. Higher than 60 and you get a tiny bit of distortion creep in.

Once the demister vents are sort the scuttle can go on and the doors adjusted. After that it’s just bonnet side panels and head lights.

Bodywork

Centre console, and rear end

The centre console coming together, this will also act as a duct for heater down to your feet. There’s also a 12V supply in the side of it for the all important sat nav (or I’d get very lost all the time):

Here is is from a higher vantage point:

The 77MP’s styling fits the car quite well:

All the wiring needs a final tidy up after settings are finalised.

Door hinge bracket, one of four. The metal the door is bolted to is far to thin, it flexes all over the place. Hopefully these will add enough structure to fix this.

Exhausts bolted up, bumpers fixed in place, rear lights in place and working. Just needs the other wing and a number plate.

Bodywork

Interior and rear lights

Dash board re-trim without glove box (wiper motor in the way)<br />

Dash board re-trim without glove box (wiper motor in the way)

Rear of re-trimmed  dash showing pod for speaker<br />

Rear of re-trimmed  dash showing pod for speaker

Divers side behind the dash<br />

Divers side behind the dash

Test fit on car, the mount holes needed drilling out as the paint had filled them a bit.<br />

Test fit on car, the mount holes needed drilling out as the paint had filled them a bit.

The speakers could do with a grille mesh to finish them off but other than that it is coming together.<br />

The speakers could do with a grille mesh to finish them off but other than that it is coming together.

Rear lights installed with new waterproof plugs - a bigger job than you might expect!<br />

Rear lights installed with new waterproof plugs – a bigger job than you might expect!

Bodywork

Bodywork final stages of prep for paint

Rough fill in of the holes in the tub with 8 layers of glass to give it plenty of strength.

Rough fill in of the holes in the tub with 8 layers of glass to give it plenty of strength.

Tub hole cover from the back

Tub hole cover from the back

New side repeaters fitted - these need the hole enlarging a bit.

New side repeaters fitted – these need the hole enlarging a bit.

New scuttle side panels sitting snugly with the new repeater above.

New scuttle side panels sitting snugly with the new repeater above.

Vent hole cut and cover fitted

Vent hole cut and cover fitted

Mirror holes filled in (the ones nearer the front they were in the wrong place!) and vent holes.

Mirror holes filled in (the ones nearer the front they were in the wrong place!) and vent holes.

Back of tub sprayed black - hides all the modifications.

Back of tub sprayed black – hides all the modifications.

Bonnet cleaned up ready for louvres and the hinge holes sunk slightly further to allow the screws to sit more flush.

Bonnet cleaned up ready for louvres and the hinge holes sunk slightly further to allow the screws to sit more flush.

Fibreglassing experiment - this will form an attachment for any future rear diffuser.

Fibreglassing experiment – this will form an attachment for any future rear diffuser.

Fibreglassing experiment - this will form an attachment for any future rear diffuser.

Fibreglassing experiment – this will form an attachment for any future rear diffuser.

Bodywork

Bodywork update

A few more things checked off the list:

  • Finished the scuttle side panels
  • Opened up the indicator holes on the scuttle to fit the new ones
  • Rear end break down
  • Step one of filling the seat belt holes in the tub

I recommend everyone take their tub off after a year and check for rust issues, we’ve got a few area’s that need to be cleaned up and protected.