The Magnecor HT leads turned up today. Very nice looking set of leads. They didn’t cost much more than the OE set. The old leads had started to crack and needed replacing. The engines also getting new plugs, distro cap and rotor arm. Click me
The restoration of old parts and generally making them look nice continued today. Also installed the new clutch. New pictures are up (paint is still wet though) Click me
3 new pictures today! One very shiny rocker cover, now polished and painted black. Inlet manifold slowly cleaning up. Not sure how much more I will do on this one. Click me
When your taking your donor to bits, be careful not to damage the clutch hose that goes between the slave and master cylinder its quite expensive to replace (£33+VAT).
Also ordered new bushes for the rear swing arms, new links for the rear anti roll bar and a gasket for the throttle butterfly.
Need more carb cleaner for the intake manifold as well!
Still need to decided if I am going to replace the water pump or not.
Should be getting more stuff from Frost soon as well.
The engine is slowly coming together bit by bit. Taken the inlet manifold off, cleaned up the throttle body with Carb/Injector cleaner – Click me
Click me – A long drive but we got our kit home in one piece. This just left us with sorting of all the bits and finding somewhere to put them!
It took 2.5 years to build the car and pass SVA (now IVA) and a lot longer to get to where it is now! To see the Sportster out on the road have a look at one of the videos here.
During 2008 we rebuilt the BMW engine from 2.5 to a 2.8 creating an M20B28 stroker engine. It uses the crankshaft from the later BMW M52B28 and the conrods from the M20B20. Not much more work is needed other than a clean up, slotting those bits together and a crank spacer. To read about the engine build click here (very picture heavy!)
In March 2009 it was painted, a full set of images is here.