Part evolution from initial concept to final co-polyester print, shown at the front the traditional bulb clear lens, LED amber indicator and LED ring light.
The final part:
Test fit with traditional bulb holder style clear lens indicator:
New LED centres, these don’t have the big tail and rubber seal out the back so it’s vulnerable to stone impacts and dirt inside the rear arches.
To solve the first/damage issue I’ve modelled up a dust cap, on the right version 1 printed in one part. The rough surface comes from removing supports. Version 2 on the left, printed in two parts, up the other way. That leaves a clean finish on the ourside from the print bed and clean surface without any overhang for the inside.
Version 2 split print in more detail, these parts are glued together using CA / Superglue
Wire cap in place
The end is shaped so that shrink tube can easily be place over the cables to protect them
Version 2 on the left, much smaller than the inital version:
Some clearance to fit two next to each other on the Sporster
The part is still more than strong enough for to keep the light in
Test fitting on the wing
LED centre light test fit (yep, rusty screws need changing)
View from the outside
Version 2 model, more compact, less print time and should have a good 1-2mm gap to place both lights next to each other.
Test print in PLA, will be able to test fit in a day or two. The final version will be printed in a copolyester for more heat resilience.
When we first build the Sportster 3D printing wasn’t a thing for home users. This has changed in the last 13 years, so it seem like a good time to make some improvments.
Version one of the rear light brackets where aluminim, work fine don’t look so good:
CAD Designs so far, allows for 3mm body thinkness when mounted. It’ll need a gasket to keep the damp out, also the fibre glass is not a consisten thinkness:
Some rendered versions with clear models of the outter ring and inner light:
Now we need to print the first protoype and see how it fits:
3rd design set for the clutch bracket. As we ran out of ColorFabb HT filament it gave me a few more days to consider the design so I’ve revised some angles:
All 3 versions, note the middle one didnt finish printing:
Extra support structures
Clearance for the fluid fill. You can see the layers don’t look very smooth – that’s by design as it makes the print stronger by having thicker layers. For a display piece we’d print with much finer layers that which would look a lot smoother. As this is a functional piece you can’t see it doesn’t matter.
Watch the print!
V2 clutch bracket with room for pipe and holes to bolt to the top of the scuttle.
If this were printable as usable part then I’ve done an extra version with more structure and cleaned up edges – there would probably need to be more material to the front mount point as well:
Updated: going to try a 3D printed one using ColorFabb HT
Added a load of extra structure to strengthen the part were it’s bolted.
The print is sliced like this giving the most strength in the direction the force of pushing the clutch would go through the part.:
The yellow lines are the movement of the print head, the black cylinder is the print head, it’s shown with the top 1/4 left to go, the corrigated stuff is support material – without it gravity can take effect and the runs of plastic can sag. It’s set to print with 100% fill so that it’s as strong as it can be. The prototype had less fill which saves both print time and plastic but is not as strong.
10 hours into the print:
3D model of the clutch bracket prototype made with Autodesk 123D
Printing the object on an Ultimaker 2+
The 3D printed object, which is incredibly accurate:
Clutch master fits on the 3D prototype print without any adjustments needed. The design needs a bit more clearance for the fluid feed pipe and it needs to be extended forward to make use of my second scuttle mount hole. I can probably add more re-enforcement where there is room.
Fits into the car too!
Added a hole for the scuttle mount and tested the spacing for the pedal fit.
A few cm forward of it is the second mount hole so the bracket can be lengthened to make use of it.
Next step is to refine the design and create a metal version.
Since first installing the brakes a spring has been missing off one of the pads which means the passenger side calliper rattles. I decided to switch from the jurid to ATE pads – the ATE’s bite a bit better initally than the jurids – something I’ve found on my daily drivers. Also the ATE pads are OE for E46 / E9x.
A few bits of rust, here under the drivers door:
Chipped off, brushed and some rust remedy:
Sprayed with rollbar and chassis paint, you can see the hole in powder coat but I’d rather this than have the surface rust carry on creeping:
The wing mounts had also started to rust, so took these off while the wheels were off for the pad change. Also cleaned up any chips in the powder coat on the front suspension:
Refreshed with new nuts and bolts:
3D part has also finished printing, need to how this fits:
The clutch slave failed – not sure why, perhapse the master cylinder was pushing too much fluid into it. The reason is not so important, I’ve decided to use the BMW master cylinder as this will be matched to the slave. Unfortunatly the original design for the clutch attachment is very poor – the whole pedal box twists.
Therefore I’ve started protyping a new bracket design that will be a strong mount for the master cylinder with a bracket the bolts up through the top of the scuttle – already re-enforced for the pervious alternative clutch arrangment.
I’ll 3D print this bracket for test fitting and if it works OK I’ll try to recreate this in aluminum.
A couple more hours: