Started on swapping out the metro brake servo for a dual diaphragm servo bought as part of a group buy on madabout-kitcars.com.
So far I’ve fitted the new servo by expanding the mount holes of the old servo, extended the push pin with a bolt and started making the servo to master cylinder adapter.
Need to wait for a rose joint to connect the servo to the brake pedal – didn’t like the idea of putting an oval in the the existing connector. Also my counter sinker isn’t making much of dent in the servo master cylinder adapter plate so need a better one!
Working on the Sportster is great – such easy access to everything!
It was MOT time this week. I changed the driver side ball joints as they had a warning last year, the lower one had noticeable slop.
I didn’t check the handbrake, or the driver side ball joints this year – guess what it failed on… hindsight a wonderful thing.
The rubber on the lower driver side ball joint was perished so failed on that. I replace the whole ball joint as I had spare ones.
The passenger side handbrake had no brake effect, on checking the cable seems to have stretched a bit and there was not enough thread to tighten it up properly, so put a space it and did them up.
Passed just fine with those two little fixes – could have avoided them if I’d spent a bit more time check the car over before the test.
A very temporary solution to make it more obvious I’m using the brakes. Not pretty but does the job until I find a better solution.
It’s that time of the year again when my daily driver needs it’s oil bits checking. This time it was an inspection 2 which is a little more involved than a regular service. Other than the obvious of making sure nothings falling off the spark plugs needed changing (which I’ll actually do next weekend as it will involve moving the LPG injector bits) and the fuel filter as this is the cars second inspection 2 having racked up 114,500 miles (that’s about 75,000 since I started servicing myself).
Naturally I only had 5 hose clamps and not the full 6 needed to complete fuel filter change so a trip to the local motor parts shop was need (an unavoidable reality when it comes to doing anything on a car).
This time after much head scratching and oil usage (seems to be normal on M54B22’s) I chose to go with some 5w 30 instead of the 0w 30 I’ve been using up until now. This stuff is also BMW Longlife 4 compatible which is more than is need on and M54 but not really different in price to the Longlife 1 compliant stuff.
Only given it a quick test drive but so far its running nice and smooth.
Some interesting developments for all Sportster owners and builders. Mike and GOO have been experimenting with a dual 7″ brake servo instead “stock” metro servo setup. If anyone is getting that horrible, arg I hope it stops feel when in traffic with modern over servo assisted tin tops then this is a winner.
For more info and group buy have a look here on mad about kit cars
Yesterday the Sportster passed it’s MOT. Testers were ready and waiting as they heard it coming!
Advisory on near side lower balls joint so I’ll be replacing that. He said there’s only a tiny amount of play but they’re relatively cheep parts which are easy to whip out with the airgun!
It was time for an upgrade after spending a year on and off cleaning contacts and still having the number plate lights blink sometime. Using the original housings the standard bulbs have been switched for LED blocks from CBS. These are the same as the type used for the interior lighting. Not tried them in the dark yet as it’s a really nice day today!
It was very hot today and a good one to go get a tan!
Server upgrade is done and after much cursing friendly URL’s appear to be working now! If you spot anything let me know via a comment or the contact above 🙂