The steering wheel arrived. It’s a nice size, smaller than the stock wheel but not tiny.
I’ve put a picture up in the parts section: Click me
And a comparison picture in the construction section: Click me
After waiting on missing ball joints, it turns out they’re not part of the kit. So ball joints ordered from Marlin.
Steering Wheel should be here soon, all that is needed now is the steering rack and front shocks to test fit the front and get everything in the right place.
Having some issues with the brake lines. I have finally figured out where all the braided hoses are supposed to go, but none of the copper tubes seem to have the correct connectors on them. That means I will need a joiner, if such a thing exists, or get new pipes made up.
Rear suspension test fit. Although the rear spring seats dont align properly the springs seem to go in ok. I’m not 100% happy with this but for the moment it will do. I installed new suspension top mounts from an E46 Cabrio, an E30zone recommendation. Please see new pictures in the gallery: Click me
The AVO rear dampers are working very well. Although I had to use the standard plastic covers as the ones that came with the dampers were not quite long enough.
Today I’ve done first proper elements of construction. Fitting of the rear swing arms and the differential. These didn’t quite fit properly and need the help of the mallet to move them to their final place.
The spring seats don’t line up – going to have to talk to Marlin about this.
New gallery to go with the start of construction: Click me
Marlin have sent me over a set of 10 bushes for the diff mount and front wishbones. After a bit of experimentation and lots of washing up liquid I had 10 bushes in place. 4 more BMW bushes went into the rear swing arms after the old ones were removed.
The Magnecor HT leads turned up today. Very nice looking set of leads. They didn’t cost much more than the OE set. The old leads had started to crack and needed replacing. The engines also getting new plugs, distro cap and rotor arm. Click me
The restoration of old parts and generally making them look nice continued today. Also installed the new clutch. New pictures are up (paint is still wet though) Click me
3 new pictures today! One very shiny rocker cover, now polished and painted black. Inlet manifold slowly cleaning up. Not sure how much more I will do on this one. Click me
When your taking your donor to bits, be careful not to damage the clutch hose that goes between the slave and master cylinder its quite expensive to replace (£33+VAT).
Also ordered new bushes for the rear swing arms, new links for the rear anti roll bar and a gasket for the throttle butterfly.
Need more carb cleaner for the intake manifold as well!
Still need to decided if I am going to replace the water pump or not.
Should be getting more stuff from Frost soon as well.
The engine is slowly coming together bit by bit. Taken the inlet manifold off, cleaned up the throttle body with Carb/Injector cleaner – Click me