Chassis

Bits and pieces

It has been a while since our last update. In that time we have taken the engine out to do some work that can not be done while it’s in place. This includes the radiator mounting, clutch pipe, brake pipes and fuel pipes. Fuel pipes still need to be done but the rest is complete. The radiator is now in place along with all the brake and clutch pipes. We have made our own mounts for the radiator as the Marlin ones wouldn’t work with electric fan – not enough room for it. There are pictures of the Marlin mounts and our custom ones on the construction section.



Click me



Click me

A lot of new parts through including a full set of disks and pads, alternator mounting bracket, Z4 3.0ltr shift level, and various O rings for the engine all from motormec.co.uk. Also in fuel pipe, battery clamp, kill switch, light switch, and various other bits from Car Builder Solutions (nfauto.co.uk). We’ve got to be almost there for parts now!



Click me

Finally a comparison between shift levels original on the bottom, Z3 1.9 in the middle and Z4 3.0ltr (early model part number) at the top. The Z4 has the shortest shift of all of them.



Click me

Chassis

A little bit more

Another week end another few bits and pieces done. The fuel tank is mounted, the brake pipes are back from our local garage flared, the steering rack is nicely in placed with the column in a trial position. 4 meters of vinyl from Marlin are on their way to Cobra seats for a set of custom Roadster 7 to be made up.

We’re having some fun with the radiator. We’ve established that is a BMW rad from Marlin but we’ve got no idea how to mount it. The brackets from Marlin don’t seem to work with the rad, further conversations with Terry / Mark will be need to figure this one out! One thing that is certain is that the stock water pipes are not all the right length to work with the new radiator. So custom ones will need to be ordered.

Today’s pictures:


Click me

Chassis

Bolted

No pictures today, but the pedal box is now securely mounted on the car. I’ve also mounted the back of the gear lever assembly. Decided to keep it simple and used a P-clip. I may revise this to something more sturdy. I’ve also decided that the Z3 1.9 gear lever I bought is not
stubby enough so I am going to get my hands on one from a Z4 3.0ltr. Still awaiting confirmation on part numbers as there are two different types.

The differences between the different models can be seen in the following picture. The bit below the ball determins how short the shift is (the longer the bit below the shorter the shift):



Click me

A comparison between the stock E30 and the Z3 1.9 (Z3 on the right)



Click me

Images from: www.e30zone.co.uk

Chassis

Sun is out

Dropped the car on its wheels and took it out on the driveway as it was nice and warm. Not done a great deal except play with the alignment of the steering column now that the rack is in place. Its also the first time it’s been on the wheels with the engine in. The front suspension feels good! The steering is very direct the smallest movement from the steering wheel translates instantly to a small movement at the wheels. I can’t wait to drive it! It’ll be a fare few months yet though! I’ve taken a few pictures of the whole car as I don’t have many of those yet:



Click me

Max led the way today:



Click me

Parts

Yeah more stuff!

Big box from Marlin arrive with steering rack, carpet and trim. Trim got a few dents in transit but hopefully that will fix itself! Going to be a busy week end getting the steering in.

Chassis

Brakes

Received the splash plates from Motormec today so I went about installing them. Needed holes cutting in them – this was due me not wanting to take the hubs off. Enough has been take off for the plate to go past the back of the hub leaving all the handbrake assembly parts and the brake hose bracket in place.



Click me



Click me

Interior

Gear Knob

Short one, got a few more bits in including gear knob and handbrake handle. I got both off eBay. The gear knob actually came from Motorforce. Also ordered via partsgateway a new water pipe for the front of the engine. In addition I’ve ordered some new rear brake splash plates and some new dust caps for the bleed nipples on the callipers – these from Motormec. The old ones were in pretty bad condition.



Click me

Chassis

Steering Rack

Doh! Steering rack is too big at either end and needs to go back to Marlin to be modified. Its about 2.5cm out one side and 5cm on the other. Major toe out!